No announcement yet.

ASA Districts Results after one day...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASA Districts Results after one day...

Community Thought;

"Any thoughts on how we can eliminate districts altogether If we had district champions that would be one thing, but just limiting players to teams seems like a waste of effort."

What do YOU think..

Results after one day...

"Hummm
    Devils advocate - create super teams?
    Other than that can't see any reason why this isn't a great idea.
    Really nice that kids in 18U can play anywhere....those girls are usually committed to the game by then."

"By the way, from someone that has spent most of their ASA time outside of Utah, the district concept is complete nonsense. Why would we limit our teams abilities to recruit and handicap ourselves compared to other states? Are we purposely trying to make sure no teams get so competitive that they could actually beat CA teams consistently and get girls recruited to play in college outside of Utah?"

"I think we should eliminate them now, ASA is the only one using them. And no one follows it anyway."

"USSSA does not have "Districts" "

Thank You for your comments.
    ps Why would our opinions matter if the right ear never hears the message. Softballutah.com will forward these to ASA. We'll keep you posted.

Make it a Great Day! and Thanks for using softballutah.com
    SoftballUtah

Districts

I would be in favor of districts IF they were providing opportunities to play. If they were involved in setting up and supporting rec leagues or they worked to provide instruction for coaches, I could see that they would want to "protect" what they had helped develop. But they don't do that, so it comes down to commissioners are protecting their turf.

The district limitations do not serve the the interests of the players. I do not see how stopping players from playing is helping that player. As one who lives less than three miles from the border, I see how the rule has hurt players (and teams) in this area. When looking for players we have been contacted by players who are ten minutes away and had to turn them away even though we were the closest team to them. Yet someone who lives two hours away could join the team but they never seem to be interested.

When looking for new teams we have had the same "problem". There were no teams in our area that were right age, some younger some older. So the two choices were travel an hour to try and find a team or..... wait there was no other choice because we can't cross districts. There isn't even an appeals process.

We have seen multiple players looking for a team around our area who we have had to tell that it was travel hour plus if you want to play instead of fifteen minutes the other way. How are the interests of the players served by saying it is okay to go play for a team 90 minutes away but you can't play for the team 15 minutes away?

The districts rules may have served some purpose in the past. They do not seve the interests or needs of the players especially with no appeals process.

Maybe this issue is moot if the rule is unenforced. This past summer, the pick up player rules and locked roster rules from State were shown to be unenforced. So maybe this falls in the same boat, that it can be ignored with no consequences.
    LRR

Comment

USSSA does not have Districts

As a result of a very successful 2009 Fall Season in South Jordan, USSSA will again be offering both Accelerated and Recreational Fast Pitch programs in Utah for the 2010 season. The Program will expand even further in 2011 to include dozens of other "Districts", Municipalities and Recreation Departments throughout the State of Utah. In 2010 USSSA will also be offering several Local, State, Regional and even National Level Tournaments. Teams from Utah will now be able to accumulate points and berths to USSSA World Tournaments.

USSSA is now the Association of choice in the East and the fastest growing Association in the West. Utah registers more Slow-Pitch Teams than any state or association in the country, except for California. We expect to register as many Fast-Pitch Teams in Utah within the next few years as we have Slow-Pitch.

There has always been three main issues preventing any other association from making head way in Utah. One; no one was willing to step up and take the reins. Two; teams have not played or registered with other associations for fear of being black balled by the predominant association here in Utah. This has also been an issue in other parts of the country, not just Utah. Three; the inability for other associations to recruit or hire umpires. Umpires have been directly threatened that if they work for another association, especially Triple Crown Sports or USSSA, they will not be called to work again.

At a recent Triple Crown tournament, two representatives from "another association" showed up and threatened two umpires, warning them that if they didn't leave the field immediately that they would no longer be given assignments by the "other association". For years, Umpires have been afraid to register or work with any other association for fear they would not be allowed to work elsewhere. As a softball umpire for 30 years I've experienced this first hand. Who in the @#$% do they think they are telling me or you who you work and play with?

However, that is about to change.

Enough Umpires, Teams and Municipalities are so fed up with the predominant association here in Utah and are now willing to do something about it. How...

1. I am personally stepping up to build a solid USSSA Fast-Pitch Program in the Intermountain West, including Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.

2. Dozens of Teams and several Municipalities have now committed and will also be registering with USSSA.

3. We have hired a solid core of trained and experienced Fast-Pitch Umpires who have come forward and are willing to work. Over the winter months, even more umpires will be hired and trained for the upcoming 2010 season.

With that said, let me say this, It is not USSSA's or USSSA of Utah's objective to pull any teams or officials away from any association. USSSA only wishes to offer some excellent competition and alternatives for all.

Oh yeah, did I mention that USSSA does not have "Districts"?

Scott L. Moyes
      USSSA Fast-Pitch State Director
      USSSA Slow-Pitch Umpire-In-Chief
      Scott L. Moyes
      State Fast-Pitch Director
      State Slow-Pitch UIC
      USSSA of Utah

Comment

Whats Best for OUR Girls!!!

When it all comes down to it.... What is best for the Girls?? We have played at Redwood, South Jordan and spent our summer's playing and working hard to be competive!! Teaching, learning and spending alot of money on WHAT?? Is it going to tourny's and having such a mixed bag of umpires that you walk away saying "that was the worst ump I have ever seen" Oh, I forgot the last tourny.. Maybe they were worse!!!! I was in the State Tourny this year and had a ump come up to me and say he was sorry for the other ump... We won that game and I was so pissed I went and explained my concerns to the Person in charge... She listen and said she has had alot of complaints about that umpire and would'nt allow that to happen again!! Needless to say, our very next game we had the same umpire and belive it or not we had the very same issues... Parents spend alot of money for their gilrs to be involved in this sport and we should provide them with the best umpires we can!!
        USSSA did a great job in South Jordan this fall and provided some of the best umpires I have seen... I will support anything that is good and they did a great job!!!! Hats off to the guys that provided a great program for our Girls!!!
        I say this.... Let the damn girls play where they want to play and let them make the decision of whats best for them and let the umps work where they want to work!!! Maybe thats just me wanting to keep the rights I enjoy as an "AMERICAN".... LETS DO WHAT IS BEST FOR EVERY GIRL!!!!! Just my 20 cents...

Comment

Sportmanship ????

What the heck - don't we live in Utah where it is a right to work state? ASA USSSA IFA ISA - all I can say is that this fall over 500 girls and 42 teams got play Fall Ball in South Jordan - the place is nice location that serves the valley well. I hope they do a Spring League, in the past South Jordan use to be a GREAT place, it is now on the road back and we all hope for Sping Ball - 4 Fields, lights, central suburb location. Heck if not for USSSA stepping up - our girls lose out playing and we all suffer - I have meet good and bad umps in every league in every city -Rec to accelerated) - they are human beings and deserve our support unless they are incompentent - so as they say "LETS PLAY SOFTBALL"!!! Good luck USSSA.

Comment

Wow, are you kidding?

I was just sent this anonymous comment via email by someone who didn't have the #$%& to post it here or give their real name. And of course, I just have to reply.

“I do not believe USSSA has been that successful. I was not impressed or happy with the umpires in the South Jordan league. I know it is a difficult job, but we are playing fast pitch and I think it was obvious their experience is centered around slow pitch. I most likely would not choose to go to a USSSA tournament and I don't believe there are enough teams that will register with USSSA.”

My reply...

Who in the **** wrote this crap and didn't have the nutz to post it?

All but one umpires we had in South Jordan are very experienced Fast Pitch Umpires. Most are D1 level and have more than 20 years each of experience. Not once did we have one argument over calls or fans, players or coaches yelling us. I take this very personally since I was out there myself almost every night, and I'm damn good. I played for some of the best Fast Pitch teams in the country as well as Umpired for ASA for over 20 years. I officiated Rec Ball, High School and D1. Only three of our "Fast Pitch" Umpires have ever done Slow Pitch. So don't give me that elitist Fast Pitch B.S..

From this group of Umpires we are requested all over the United States. I've spent the last three weeks traveling around the country with our umpires doing tournaments. We constantly receive comments on how well we conduct ourselves, control and call our games and make the game enjoyable for the players, which is what this is all about.

Are we the best? Dunno, but would like to think so. I do know one thing, were better than what's been offered in this State for many years. I was personally trained by my father whom most of the Softball and Utah Sports World know. He's was a professional sports official and high school coach for over 30 years. In fact, he was just inducted in to the Sports Hall of Fame as an Umpire and just nominated to the Utah Softball Hall of Fame. If it's true what the say about, "you're a product of your own environment", then I turned out really good. I trained my Umpires the same way my father trained me.

How the **** would you know what a USSSA Fast Pitch Tournament is like, you've most likely never been to one and we already have enough USSSA Teams in Utah to host several NITs in 2010. Just visit the USSSA website for a while and you'll realize just how successful USSSA has become.

Any and every team that registers with ASA can and most likely will also register with USSSA. Why, because we do a damn good job and ASA is still pissing so many teams and umpires off it's a wonder there is any Fast Pitch left in Utah. I know, I was one of them.

I take great pride in my work and what I've done here in Utah and can't wait to see some tails between some legs as we move forward. What I'm hoping for is not the elimination or take over of leagues etc. What I want is real competition and a better product for all players, Men and Girls Fast Pitch.
            Scott L. Moyes
            State Fast-Pitch Director
            State Slow-Pitch UIC
            USSSA of Utah

Comment

Working...
            X