Tournament Scheduling - Round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tournament Scheduling - Round 2

You wouldn't think lightning could strike twice in St. George, but it did. After the folks at St. George Rec screwed up the tournament scheduling on the 6th & 7th, they found a way to do it again on the 13th and 14th with the 16U teams (I hope the 12U's had better scheduling). And all this happened while the St. George Softball Coordinator sat at home on her couch with her dog on Friday night and laughed at us coaches irate over her incompetence. Why wasn't she at the ball park taking responsibility for her actions? Instead she left her employees to take the heat and make excuses for her. Here are some of the comments made by the St. George staff, including Krysta herself:
    - "She's new, give her a chance."
    - "She's always been good with customer service."
    - "There were an odd number if teams, so this was the only way to make it work."
    - "This is how I did it in Colorado and there weren't any complaints."
    - "If you think you could do it better, why don't you make up the bracket? "
    - "No, it doesn't matter if you make up the bracket, it's not going to change."
    - I'm tired of talking to you now ... (click)."

First off, why do the games start so late (and end late) on Friday when bracket play starts at 8am on Saturday?? Yes 90% of the teams come from the Salt Lake area and have a long drive. The fact is most of us parents have pulled our kids out of school Friday anyway and have either spent the night in St. George Thursday night or leave early enough Friday to be in town shortly after lunch. Wouldn't it be reasonable to start the pool games at 4pm or even 5pm so the last games of the evening (if they're on time - lol) end by 9pm or 10pm? This would give the girls another hour of sleep - 7 hours instead of 6. What a novel idea.

Second, why in the world do you schedule the first round of brackets to have:
    - 4th seeds playing each other, then a bye after a loss
    - 2nd seeds playing each other (4 of the 5 2nd seeds in 16U played the other 2nd seed in the first round)
    - Some brackets had teams playing 4 games without a break starting with the 8am game?
    And who knows what other problems arose from St. George Rec's incompetence.
    We send our girls to St. George to play ball, get experience so they can improve and then they get put into situations where they can't perform at their best because of incompetent tournament scheduling.

I for one have had enough of this, but sadly this tournament is the only one offered at this time of year ... so what do we do? We need to put enough pressure on the St. George Rec Department to get it right, or talk to another city further south and have them host this. How would the businesses in St. George feel if we spent the 10's of thousands of $$$'s in hotel rooms, food, shopping, etc $$$ in another town??

Something needs to be done before we play another tournament in St. George, or these will be the last.
    I'd like to hear other comments and experiences from this last weekend.

What time did your games

What time did your games finish? This is sad, because as we played the weekend before, we were assured this would not happen again and the director seemed very sympathetic. I now wonder if that was just to appease those of us who were upset. We need to get together as a community and figure out a way to discuss this with St. George rec. department. They do have great fields, and it is the only tournament this time of year, but I wonder how great their fields will continue to be if they do not have our money coming in to help maintain them?
    cc

Comment

12u comments

I agree with pyang's blog. The schedule was hard. We started at 7:15 (1st games were at 6) we had a break and then played at 9:45 and finished at 11. My daughter didn't get to bed until 12. ALL Saturday games in our bracket started at 8:00am. Some girls stayed in Mesquite so they lost one more hour of sleep.

We played 3 games in a row on Saturday morning starting at 8am after the short night. Our girls were worn out by the third game and didn't play well.

Umpires. In Bracket play we only had ONE. I was told by one of them that he was alone because in order to speed up play, and to avoid the same problems as last week, the were having games at Dixie High too. Since it was the last minute, they had to spread out the umps. They missed a few calls out on the base paths because of it.

After pool play, they broke it into 2 separate tournaments. It was 1st and 2nd seeds in one bracket, 3rd and 4th in the other. So we were a 3rd and played a 4th seed in the first bracket game. Kind of wierd.

We didn't go deep so I don't know when the final games ended. They need to fix something
      John Atkinson
      johnatkinsonjr@comcast.net

Comment

Great Fields?

If you took time to stand ON the fields and look at them you would notice that the infields are rolling. On field 5 at Canyons there is a bowl at second base that could easily hold hundreds of gallons of water. Other fields at other locations are showing the same problems. Stop dragging in circles, tell your boss you need to attend a field maintenance class! St George needs to look at some serious field maintenance before the fields start hurting players from bad hops. Also, the grounds keepers customer service needs evaluated. We saw her pull up on the heels of an older gentleman and push him down the walk way with her John Deer, with the front of her cart inches off of his oxygen tank. Later she was driving through teams standing near the concession area and clipped a player with her drag that was rolled up on the back and hanging out.

Did anyone else notice the gal that was caring for the fields? The game before us ended in a run rule we had :30 minutes of an open field when she came out with the rack and pushed the rake in the first base runners lane, scratched around home plate, continued down the third base line and left.............................why? The field had already sat for multiple games before unprepared. Seems like the same customer service effort is all around.

Comment

Working...
        X